In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment:
- Division for the Advancement of Women (DAW)
- International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women (INSTRAW)
- Office of the Special Adviser on Gender Issues and Advancement of Women (OSAGI)
- United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM)
The main roles of UN Women are:
- To support inter-governmental bodies, such as the Commission on the Status of Women, in their formulation of policies, global standards and norms.
- To help Member States to implement these standards, standing ready to provide suitable technical and financial support to those countries that request it, and to forge effective partnerships with civil society.
- To lead and coordinate the UN system’s work on gender equality as well as promote accountability, including through regular monitoring of system-wide progress.
Active in Albania since it set up its Country Programme in 2007, UN Women works closely with the government and civil society to design and implement the laws, policies, programmes and services needed to improve the status of women and achieve global standards for gender equality. Within the One UN Programme in Albania, UN Women Albania leads on gender equality issues, and provides coordination and support to related activities.
UN Women focuses on initiatives in four priority areas that are fundamental to women’s equality and that can unlock progress for everyone in Albania:
- Leadership and political participation
- Economic empowerment
- Ending violence against women
- National planning and budgeting
Procese Zgjedhore Gjithëpërfshirëse:Manual për Organet e Administrimit të Zgjedhjeve mbi Nxitjen e Barazisë Gjinore dhe të Pjesëmarrjes së Grave
National Strategy and Action Plan on Gender Equality 2016-2020
Gender Brief in Albania
Femra dhe Meshkuj në Shqipëri / Women and Men in Albania 2016
Femra dhe Meshkuj në Shqipëri / Women and Men in Albania 2015
Femra dhe Meshkuj në Shqipëri / Women and Men in Albania 2014
National Action Plan for the Socio-Economic Re-Integration of Women and Girls Victims of Trafficking in the Republic of Albania
Harta e Sherbimeve ne ndihme te grave dhe vajzave, viktima apo viktima te mundshme te trafikimit
Parimet e Fuqizimit te Gruas
Monitorimi i shtypit të shkruar për trafikimin e grave dhe vajzave
Të drejtat pronësore dhe Gruaja
Gender perspectives in Albania
Tregues me Ndjeshmëri Gjinore për Mediat